Why Do I have to Go Through Probate in Ohio?
The law usually requires probate proceedings to take place in the county where the decedent’s property is located. If your loved one owned property in more than one state, you could end up handling multiple probate proceedings in different locations.
You may need the help of a licensed Ohio probate attorney if:
- Your loved one lived in Ohio at the end of his or her life;
- Your loved one had a house, vacation home, or timeshare outside of Ohio at the time of death and you are trying to put the property on the market;
- Your loved one held real estate, bank accounts, or other assets in Ohio;
- Your loved one shared ownership of a property in Ohio with someone else.
Why we’re the Smart Choice to Serve as Your Ohio Probate Law Firm
We work with clients nationwide who need to go through probate, quickly, efficiently, and with minimal stress. Whether you require full or release of administration, we talk to our clients like real people, streamlining the process to make our clients’ lives as easy as possible.
Why should you choose us for your loved one’s probate matter?
- You can stay home. You don’t need to come to Probate Court or even our offices. Our team can meet with you remotely and discuss your needs and biggest concerns, sending you all the necessary documents electronically. We also stay in constant communication with you as probate progresses, ensuring you are informed every step of the way.
- Our ability to practice law statewide. Only attorneys who are licensed to practice law in Ohio can file an Ohio probate proceeding. While our office is located in Wintersville, we can handle probate cases in any county in Ohio, making us ideal for cases that involve multiple properties across the state.
- We are familiar with local courts and laws. We know the unique state requirements of closing an estate as well as the inner workings of the probate court. We also act as your “boots on the ground” and are able to investigate any holdups or delays in your case.
- We have a network of trusted professionals. Many of our clients are tasked with clearing out, listing, or selling a loved one’s Ohio property - and they may not know where to start. If you need help, we can act as a full-service concierge for all of your needs, connecting you with removal and cleaning services and a realtor who can help you sell the property.
- We let you know your options. During our initial strategy session with every potential probate client, we learn the specifics of their case and provide a strategy as to the next steps. Once you know where you stand, you can retain our services or move forward on your own with a better understanding of the process.
No matter what you require, our Probate Team can help you get it done from start to finish. Fill out our Probate Intake Form to set up your Probate strategy session today.
Frequent Thoughts & Emotions During the Probate Process
- If I could just know exactly what probate is and what I need to do next.
- I just need to know what to do next so that I can have some peace of mind because right now I feel overwhelmed after the loss of my mom/dad.
- If I could just transfer my parent’s property to my name so that I can sell it and get some closure after their passing.
- If I could just get the probate started and finished quickly so that I can get my siblings off my back and we can actually grieve the loss of our parents and not have such a strain on our relationship.
- No more sleepless nights
- No more fighting with other relatives who are asking you endless questions
- Get some time to yourself so that you can grieve
A Simple Method for Doing Probate in Ohio and Getting it Done Fast
If we do our job right, you won’t even know Probate is going on!
Each state creates its own laws for what happens to a resident’s assets after they pass away. In general, probate exists to ensure that all the deceased’s outstanding debts have been paid and that the deceased’s property is legally transferred to their heirs. The Judge presiding over the probate case will review everything that your family member may have owned (including bank accounts, real estate, stocks, and insurance policies), allow creditors to come forward to collect debts, ensure taxes are paid, and determine which heirs and beneficiaries will receive the remaining assets.
Our goal is to make the probate process as easy as possible for you. From our first consultation, we get to know you - your situation, your problems, and your goals. If you allow us to handle your case, you can enjoy minimal stress while we provide:
- Full or Release of Administration. We can determine how much of the estate is required to go through probate and perform the full or release of administration depending on your needs.
- A smooth transfer of assets. As an efficient and results-driven law firm, we transfer ownership of the real estate, bank accounts, and other holdings in order to give you the access you need as quickly and as hassle-free as possible.
- Regular updates. We pride ourselves on staying in constant contact with our clients, promptly returning phone calls and emails to let you know how your case is progressing.
- Litigation. If someone is contesting your loved one's wishes, we will fight tenaciously for your interests in probate court.
Put Your Mind at Ease by Taking This Difficult Step Today and Speak with Your Estate Planning Lawyer
For many people, taking that first step is the hardest. Connect with us today to schedule your telephone consultation and we will put your mind at ease. Life is unpredictable, but you can prepare for the unexpected by working with Littlejohn Law to create an estate plan that protects your assets and your family.